Christmas Bird Count
The 115th Christmas Bird Count begins on Sunday, December 14th, 2014, and runs through Monday, January 5th, 2015. The count period runs from December 14 to January 5 every year. Let the counting begin!
The circle search and sign-up tool set is now available here or by clicking “Find a Count near you” in the right-hand menu set on this page.
Look for all year's results by clicking on the "Results, Data & Research" link to the right.
Introducing American Birds: Your Quarterly Citizen Science Newsletter.
Sign up to receive future editions of American Birds online by going to the Audubon Citizen Science portal and entering your email address just to the right of “Want to keep up with Citizen Science?”
From December 14 through January 5 tens of thousands of volunteers throughout the Americas take part in an adventure that has become a family tradition among generations. Families and students, birders and scientists, armed with binoculars, bird guides and checklists go out on an annual mission - often before dawn. For over one hundred years, the desire to both make a difference and to experience the beauty of nature has driven dedicated people to leave the comfort of a warm house during the Holiday season.
Each of the citizen scientists who annually braves snow, wind, or rain, to take part in the Christmas Bird Count makes an enormous contribution to conservation. Audubon and other organizations use data collected in this longest-running wildlife census to assess the health of bird populations - and to help guide conservation action.
From feeder-watchers and field observers to count compilers and regional editors, everyone who takes part in the Christmas Bird Count does it for love of birds and the excitement of friendly competition -- and with the knowledge that their efforts are making a difference for science and bird conservation.
- Learn how data from the CBC helps birds.
- View results from this year or from previous years in the Data & Research section
- Explore the CBC Photo Gallery of birds seen during counts.
- Christmas Bird Count printable program overview (in PDF).
- Information general del Conteo Navideño de Aves (PDF) /General information about the CBC in Spanish
- Manual para compiladores sobre como realizar el Conteo Navideño de Aves (PDF) / Spanish Language compiler resources manual
- Audubon President's letter to Audubon citizen scientists.